Forum
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Timing Belt Service - Geelong?

Timing Belt Service - Geelong? 2 years 11 months ago #82716

• cosmichobo
  • Thank you received: 1
G'day,

I just joined the Cruiser Club on the weekend, and have to admit stupidly I didn't consider things like when major services/etc would be due when I made my purchase....

Whilst pricing some spare parts with Mopar Thomastown, I was advised that the timing belt needs to be done at 138,000km, at a cost of around $3,000 (!). My Cruiser is sitting at around 123,000km...

After a quick look here, I've seen people saying they had their belt done for half that price...

Given that in reality this is going to need doing within the next 12 months, what should I be looking for? Are there warning signs of belt failure? More importantly - can anyone recommend someone in Geelong who will know what they are doing?? My "normal" mechanic is Ross McDonald, who has always done well by me (so I believe), but if there's a Cruiser expert in town, I'd consider going there....

Thanks,

cosmic
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Timing Belt Service - Geelong? 2 years 11 months ago #82720

• inferno
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 20
Hello cosmic, my pt was a 2001 build rego,d in 2002' manual say 197 k for timing belt later models had less k,s, I had mine done at 150 k with water pump at same time which is suggested you do by my long time mechanic, cost $1200 without lifting the engine, Chrysler I am sure lift the engine resulting in high labour costs, I think $3000 is too much, shop around but you need a good mechanic or someone who has performed the job before, regards Murf
MURF

Timing Belt Service - Geelong? 2 years 11 months ago #82721

• i2s2bme
  • Colin & Joan
  • Thank you received: 77
Yes, someone who has done it before is an advantage. You don't want one to learn on yours.
Usually a single day job. Shop around, you'll find there can be large differences in the costs.
Local workshop should be $2000 or less. Some just under $1000
As Murf said Chrysler is around $3000 whichever way they do it, possibly two days.
But they have done them before.
Colin & Joan

PT CRUISERS DOWNUNDER (NSW) Inc.
UHF: Ch19
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Web: www.ptcruisers.com.au/ptcdu-nsw
Club Mail: PO Box: 357 Figtree, NSW 2525

Timing Belt Service - Geelong? 2 years 10 months ago #82728

• cosmichobo
  • Thank you received: 1
Thanks for the replies, guys. :)

I'm going to be taking the Zafira in to Ross M's soon for a service; I think I'll try sound him out RE experience with PT's, see what he says.
10.jpg04.jpg09.jpg03.jpg01.jpg07.jpg11.jpg02.jpg06.jpg05.jpg