Forum
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: CATAYLITIC CONVERTER

CATAYLITIC CONVERTER 6 months 1 week ago #84019

• grobson
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi! I have a 2003 PT Cruiser Auto, purchased late last year - its only done about 124 000 kms, but over the last 2 years it has done very little work at all. It was driving fabulously and I was really rapt with our purchase, until we started to have issues - which have now been diagnosed as a failed catalytic converter. Is this a common issue with the PT Cruisers, should this have happened given its low kms - anyone have any suggestions regarding its replacement, ie. should I go with another Chrysler unit, or an aftermarket unit - anything particular I should keep in mind? Very new to Chryslers, looking for as much advice as I can find - much appreciated! (We are based on the Vic/NSW border near to Albury/Wodonga)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

CATAYLITIC CONVERTER 6 months 1 week ago #84024

• Richie
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 16
G'day Grobson and welcome. Not being an expert on catalytic converters, but what is happening to your car i.e. symptoms of the fault? Yes it doesn't sound correct that something that would be expected to last a long time has failed this early? Is there a code on your dash (if you know how to check how to do that). Then some of the guys may know and go from there (with this extra info).
Chrysler is expensive. Reputable aftermarket if you can get it. Allan at Bleams (Queensland) has good aftermarket parts.
PT Cruisers are often misdiagnosed, you're in the right place to ask questions I'm sure.
Happy Cruisin'
Richie.
The following user(s) said Thank You: White Cruisn, grobson

CATAYLITIC CONVERTER 6 months 1 week ago #84027

• White Cruisn
  • Ray & Gayle. Luv our PT & being part of this Club.
  • Thank you received: 43
Hello grobson and welcome to the forum.
I have the same year model and have been on the forum nearly all that time, but I'm not aware of that being a known problem.
In fact quite unusual for any car!
Had it had an overdose of unburnt fuel or other contaminants dropped in it, or are they saying the ceramic has actually broken and caused a blockage?
Either way as Ritchie has indicated your best bet is to contact Allan at Bleam Chrysler Chrome to discuss and he should be able to advise on what needs to be done and or supply a new or second hand item for you. Now he is in Qld but he can post your part.
- www.bleam.com.au

Or......because you are on the Vic border you could try Sam at Mopar Motors at Thomastown - www.moparmotors.com.au

Your welcome to use my name as a referral to either of these guys.

- Ray Joyce
Ray Joyce
Mob: 0407 266 890
PTCDU-NSW Inc. - SECRETARY & Membership
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

PT CRUISERS DOWNUNDER (NSW) Inc.
UHF: Ch19
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Club Web: www.ptcruisers.org.au
Club Mail: PO Box: 357 Figtree, NSW 2525
The following user(s) said Thank You: grobson

CATAYLITIC CONVERTER 6 months 1 week ago #84031

• i2s2bme
  • Colin & Joan
  • Thank you received: 73
Are there error codes?
Do you know how to check?
Who diagnosed the problem?
I have a faulty Cat as well, and its been that way for 8 of the 10 years I have owned it
But I still drive it, it runs fine and have not replaced it.
Is the engine light on?
How does it affect the running of the car?
Colin & Joan

PT CRUISERS DOWNUNDER (NSW) Inc.
UHF: Ch19
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Web: www.ptcruisers.com.au/ptcdu-nsw
Club Mail: PO Box: 357 Figtree, NSW 2525
The following user(s) said Thank You: grobson

CATAYLITIC CONVERTER 6 months 1 week ago #84034

• grobson
Thank you so much for your responses; my car was sluggish, and sometimes could not get it above 60kms/hr. Sometimes not even that fast! No engine lights on so I limped it home to my mechanic, who replaced spark plugs, leads, cleaned the throttle body housing but minimal improvement. Took the catalytic converter/muffler section off, and bingo! back to how it used to be, great little rocket. I wound up replacing the cat with an aftermarket type, and am pleased to now have my car back. Its an awesome little car, I used to drive a V6 four wheel drive, but don't find this lacking in any way. Still working out the many switches, knobs, controls and gadgets though....
Last Edit: 6 months 1 week ago by grobson.

CATAYLITIC CONVERTER 6 months 1 week ago #84035

• grobson
Mopar Motors - very very helpful! Thank you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: White Cruisn
  • Page:
01.jpg04.jpg09.jpg07.jpg05.jpg03.jpg10.jpg02.jpg11.jpg06.jpg