Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Factory Sunroof transplant

Factory Sunroof transplant 6 years 3 months ago #78480

• colpay
  • Owned Mopars since 1975, love PTs now have 2
  • Thank you received: 3
Hi all
I have finally got me a parts car PT to get the motor & trans out of for my Green LTD. :)

It is a manual LTD with a factory sunroof that I would like to fit to my PT if it isn\'t too involved a process. Anyone know whats involved in this ?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Factory Sunroof transplant 6 years 3 months ago #78482

• i2s2bme
  • Colin & Joan
  • Thank you received: 77
Take the hole from one roof and put it in another roof ;)
Colin & Joan

PT CRUISERS DOWNUNDER (NSW) Inc.
UHF: Ch19
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Web: www.ptcruisers.com.au/ptcdu-nsw
Club Mail: PO Box: 357 Figtree, NSW 2525

Re:Factory Sunroof transplant 6 years 3 months ago #78503

• QuicksilverDon
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2
I have never heard of this being done, but I\'d contact a good body shop - you\'d want the top cut out and the new roof welded in.
Silver \'05 Limited w/turbo auto, sunroof; K&N FIPK, BTG Dual exhaust, E&G grill, lowered rear 1.5\", LED washer lights, catch can, Aoogah horn, sunroof deflector, hood struts, 7/8\" rear sway bar,...
traded in Silver 2002 Touring Edition w/87,000 + miles

Re:Factory Sunroof transplant 6 years 3 months ago #78508

• PTmunji
  • Platinum Member
  • Steve & Moni
  • Thank you received: 48
My guess would be that the wiring loom is there.
But you would need to swap the roof lining, and the interior light/ temperature gauge/ compass arrangement.

Having never done it, but having owned one with a sunroof; pull the roof lining out to remove all the hardware. Exactly measure the position if the sunroof in the donor car (a paper stencil) and then cut the hole in the other (with a jigsaw).

Fit all the hardware, plug the wiring, and fit the roof lining from the donor car.
You may also need to check the PCM (the big fuse box behind the air filter box) to ensure that the fuses (and wiring) are there.

The wiring should be there, most modern cars have the same loom for all variants because the factories have worked out that it\'s cheaper to have one harness for all models instead of making a different one for each as they used to do many years ago.

And if the donor car has a good engine I know someone who would be interested in it.
Steve & Moni & her Bat-Cruiser

Re:Factory Sunroof transplant 6 years 2 months ago #78525

• colpay
Thanks for the info,,, the engine is now in my green PT which is why I bought the silver one.. cheers :)

What a massive job it is changing the whole drive train out...took a whole day to refit the engine. trans & front end into my Green LTD. I spent most of today sorting out the engine bay wiring & stuff & still have hours of work to go..:ohmy:

Re:Factory Sunroof transplant 6 years 2 months ago #78569

• colpay
What a frustrating car !!
Spent hours sorting out the sensors.. engine was a 2003 & all the plugs are different from my 2001 !! Finally got it sorted & now it wont start.. cranks over & tacho bounces indicating it is sending an ignition signal but no firing at all. Checked the 2 coils & only 1 is firing ?? Tried some \"Start Ya Barstard\" but all that did was cause a loud bang from the inlet tubing.. anyone got any ideas please? 1 thing is I can remove the key when it is in \"run\" position is this normal or is he ignition switch worn??
:laugh:
11.jpg03.jpg04.jpg01.jpg09.jpg02.jpg10.jpg06.jpg05.jpg07.jpg