• i2s2bme
  • Colin & Joan
  • Thank you received: 77
Was the 03 a runner when you bought it
they are saying you will have to install 03 comp before it will run again
Colin & Joan

PT CRUISERS DOWNUNDER (NSW) Inc.
UHF: Ch19
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Web: www.ptcruisers.com.au/ptcdu-nsw
Club Mail: PO Box: 357 Figtree, NSW 2525
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Factory Sunroof transplant 6 years 4 months ago #78587

• PTmunji
  • Platinum Member
  • Steve & Moni
  • Thank you received: 48
I\'m with Col (i2s2bme) there- definitely change the computer.

To reset everything you could try this- (works with Toyota and I think it will for all modern cars) - disconnect all leads from both battery terminals, hold the leads (+ & -) together (without touching the battery) for about 20 - 30 seconds. Then reconnect to the battery. This should reset the PCM and all fault codes and stored memory.

But change the computer (PCM and harnesses, etc. first).

This \'drama\' with PCMs (computers) is not just Chrysler, it\'s ALL modern cars.
Steve & Moni & her Bat-Cruiser

Re:Factory Sunroof transplant 6 years 4 months ago #78591

• colpay
  • Owned Mopars since 1975, love PTs now have 2
  • Thank you received: 3
Thanks Col & Steve :)

Tried swapping the plug leads over as Col suggested but still no go..:(

Replaced the ignition switch & lock barrel and still no go.. :(

Tried changing over the lock barrel to suit the 2001 key but they were different (2001 has 8 pins, 2003 has only 7) so I have ordered a new lock barrel & 2 chipped keys from USA Ebay. Seems like I need 2 original keys to re-program the new keys myself but I only have 1 :(

Checking out the original key & it is very worn which is why it pulls out in any position.. hopefully I can use the tumbler numbers to get the new keys cut
..:dry:

Changing the computer is a MAJOR job as it is totally different in ALL ways.. wiring loom, plugs, mounting etc & I am not sure how to remove it from the parts PT. Will have to study the workshop manual.:dry:

Col as far as I know it was a runner until it hit whatever and set off the airbags so seems like I have more work ahead of me now.:ohmy:

Steve the weird thing is there are no error codes coming up but it is only firing 1 coil when cranking & there is no sign of it firing at all..:(

Re:Factory Sunroof transplant 6 years 4 months ago #78592

• i2s2bme
  • Colin & Joan
  • Thank you received: 77
With US sourced keys beware as our programmes are different
Early US models have a panic button which is used to activate the recoding
our systems won‘t read these type of keys
by this I mean the button remotes not sure on the chip in the bare keyitself
They are cheap but could be of no use

what your doing is pretty new to most of us
but could be the difference in the overall longevity for PT‘s
not everyone would concider doing what you are doing
for reasons you are discovering
maybe with what you know perhaps following Domonic and installing a 383BB
would of been less a drama
Colin & Joan

PT CRUISERS DOWNUNDER (NSW) Inc.
UHF: Ch19
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Web: www.ptcruisers.com.au/ptcdu-nsw
Club Mail: PO Box: 357 Figtree, NSW 2525

Re:Factory Sunroof transplant 6 years 4 months ago #78593

• colpay
  • Owned Mopars since 1975, love PTs now have 2
  • Thank you received: 3
Col the keys were cheap enough so if they are junk then its no big deal..:unsure:
seriously wondering why I am spending so much time on the PT when I have other projects on the go as well..:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :P

This afternoon I went to our storage yard & started to pull the dash out of the parts PT.. Amazed that the steel frame is not painted and has lots of surface rust. Lots of plugs & clips to undo and the plastic panel is out & the steel frame is ready to lift out. Can see that the engine bay wiring loom is going to be a nightmare to replace in the PT with the engine & trans in place. Dragged home my 39 Hudson Hot Rod so I can fit up the 360/727 next week.. need a break from the PT;) ;)

Re:Factory Sunroof transplant 6 years 4 months ago #78595

• PTmunji
  • Platinum Member
  • Steve & Moni
  • Thank you received: 48
Col P...

Having thought a bit more about this I have done a bit of research, and I reckon that no matter how much work it is, you will have to swap the computer and the related wiring.

The 2003 has the following parts (mostly sensors) different to the 2001, and therefore would create (I think) some pretty major dramas for the computer-
timing belt, all related timing belt tensioners and sensors, MAP sensor, idle air control valve, crankshaft position sensor, etc., etc.

Basically, these different sensors will be sending information to the main computer that it will not be able to process because it is not programmed for those readings or data. This could be a reason for the \'no start\'- the computer (which allows the engine to start only when all data is within specifications) will simply not allow it to kick over.

The other thing is, where is the \"go\" connection from the chip key? I don\'t know if that\'s from the ignition switch to the main computer, or somewhere in between? (hope you get my drift... the key has a chip in it that is read somewhere in the ignition switch, but does it go all the way to the PCM?)

Sorry, but that\'s the best I can come up with.

Good luck!
Steve & Moni & her Bat-Cruiser

Latest Forum Activity

• No posts to display.
04.jpg02.jpg06.jpg09.jpg01.jpg07.jpg03.jpg11.jpg05.jpg10.jpg