Forum
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Dash panels

Dash panels 3 weeks 4 days ago #83803

• Richie
  • Thank you received: 8
Hey all, any clues on removing the coloured dash panels a la LH airbag and RH instruments. Got the chance to get some off an old junker (2001 model) but all my workshop info in still packed away post moving. I guess the airbag one would be easy as it is suppose to pop off when the airbag is activated? Oh also are the two models compatible? (Off 2001 on 2005).
Thanks in advance. Richie.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Dash panels 3 weeks 2 days ago #83809

• PTmunji
  • Platinum Member
  • Steve & Moni
  • Thank you received: 44
Hey Richie.

Basically, you have to remove the 'A' pillar covers (which involves partially removing the door seals), then I think (memory is a bit hazy) you have to remove the bezel around the radio/centre airvents. Then the dash top can be lifted and the covers will come out upwards and towards you.
Sorry that it's not a definitive description but it's a long time ago that I removed ours.

If you are not in a hurry, let me know, and when I have more time (this weekend) I can find the section in my workshop manual and let you know.

Steve
Steve & Moni & her Bat-Cruiser
The following user(s) said Thank You: Richie

Dash panels 3 weeks 2 days ago #83813

• Richie
Thanks Steve, Crikey.....the door seals?!! What's easy about this car except on the eye! I did though have a moment to go onto the www and do note that the centre dash panel has to be removed as well as the glove box and steering column covers. I can remember seeing a retro brochure about PT Cruisers showing how "easy" it is to mix and match the many funky coloured panels. It just seemed like all you needed was long fingernails, pop them off, pop new coloured ones on, jobs done! Yeah right! I am getting access to the car tomorrow so I will see how I go and report back.
Cheers Rick.

Dash panels 3 weeks 2 days ago #83814

• PTmunji
  • Platinum Member
  • Steve & Moni
  • Thank you received: 44
Hi Ritchie.

The door seals (i.e. weather seals) just pull off. By removing them (just the section running up the A-pillar) it allows you to remove the A-pillar trims.
It's a bloody fiddly job and nowhere near as simple as what was described in the brochure that you described.

I had to remove the instrument pod in ours to replace a dash light! I think it took me about 4 hours!
If you want to give me your email address I can send you the relevant section of the manual.
Or we can communicate via email and I can get your address that way and send you a disc with the complete manual on it.

Regards,

Steve
Steve & Moni & her Bat-Cruiser

Dash panels 3 weeks 1 day ago #83815

• Richie
Thanks again Steve, I think at this stage I might only get the airbag one as it looks easier to get at (according to the www) quote:....................

"To get the air bag cover off you will need to remove the glove box by opening it up and one at a time push the retaining tabs (one on each side) in to get them to clear and the glove box will rotate down and come right off.
This will expose two (maybe three, I don't remember for sure) screws that retain the lower dash panel. Remove them and this will give you access to the air bag cover.
MAKE SURE YOU DISCONNECT THE BATTERY SO AS NOT TO SET OFF THE AIR BAGS.
The airbag cover has a couple of screws and four tabs that it hinges on at the top. The hardest part is to get a screwdriver(small, long and skinny) into each plastic tab and get it to release. Once you have that done the air vents and chrome components in each piece can be removed with just a few screws."
(This is for LH drive as it was a USA site).

I am thinking about airbrushing a surf scene onto it for our woody wagon. I think I can still access the car later on down the track, it's just that the owner is giving me free range before relocating it to the wreckers. Then it will be exorbitant prices for parts off it though!
Thanks for your offer of the disc. I do have one packed somewhere in boxes still unopened from our recent move.
Will let you know how I go, Regards Rick

Dash panels 3 weeks 4 hours ago #83816

• Richie
G'day fellow Cruiser Owners, yep, it's fly by wire on a PT if you don't know what you are doing! I finally got the airbag cover off but did not tackle the gauges cover owing to possibly damaging it. The airbag cover has 3 screws both top and bottom edges and a long "clip-in" plastic tongue at the top. Some wriggling required to release the cover.
I wanted to access the rear door lock actuators for removal but came to the conclusion that 2002 models didn't have rear door remote locking! Is that correct? This car did not have them fitted.
I've got a spare parcel shelf now for $50 if anyone is interested.
Unfortunately, the whole car is off to the scrapyard (probably before New Year). If anyone is interested, it's up for grabs FREE! Some details; 2001 Classic Edition, Black, grey interior complete, manual, engine fitted but unserviceable (unknown details), mileage unknown, no body damage, wheels are not part of the deal but can be used to relocate as long as they are returned.
Looks like a good source of parts.
02.jpg10.jpg11.jpg05.jpg03.jpg04.jpg09.jpg07.jpg01.jpg06.jpg