Forum
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Question

Question 3 years 5 months ago #82224

• White Cruisn
  • Ray & Gayle. Luv our PT & being part of this Club.
  • Thank you received: 56
Well sorted Col. Good job.
That's why I asked for a pic. Mine's a 2003 and the gears selectors aren't to the left of the air filter box. Was also confused by the stud on the body. That must be the actual gear selector of the gearbox!
Any adverse conditions if not fitted...lol um no gears...lol
Chris is this car drivable?

- Ray
Ray Joyce
Mob: 0407 266 890
PTCDU-NSW Inc. - SECRETARY & Membership
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

PT CRUISERS DOWNUNDER (NSW) Inc.
UHF: Ch19
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Club Web: www.ptcruisers.org.au
Club Mail: PO Box: 357 Figtree, NSW 2525
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Question 3 years 5 months ago #82225

• i2s2bme
  • Colin & Joan
  • Thank you received: 77
White Cruisn wrote:
Well sorted Col. Good job.
That's why I asked for a pic. Mine's a 2003 and the gears selectors aren't to the left of the air filter box. Was also confused by the stud on the body. That must be the actual gear selector of the gearbox!
Any adverse conditions if not fitted...lol um no gears...lol
Chris is this car drivable?

- Ray

You might want to check again
I am certain they were all the same in all manuals
This is a 2002 model

Colin & Joan

Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Web: www.ptcruisers.com.au/ptcdu-nsw

Question 3 years 5 months ago #82226

• White Cruisn
  • Ray & Gayle. Luv our PT & being part of this Club.
  • Thank you received: 56
One of the bushes is behind the air box the other I have to remove the air box to see it.

- Ray
Ray Joyce
Mob: 0407 266 890
PTCDU-NSW Inc. - SECRETARY & Membership
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Club Web: www.ptcruisers.org.au

Question 3 years 5 months ago #82228

• Britinoz
  • Thank you received: 4
I have replaced the missing bush with something I constructed .. and hopefully that should hold for a while. Yes the car is drivable and as of yet ,I have only driven for about 75K so all is very new to me. Even in that short time I noticed the shifting back from 5th to 4th was a bit of hit and miss....but now after seeing the video that was posted ...looks like I'll have to investigate the second bush a bit deeper in the guts ( just checked ..the other bush is badly worn but will last a little longer.)
Thanks again
Chris...
Last Edit: 3 years 5 months ago by Britinoz.

Question 3 years 5 months ago #82233

• PTmunji
  • Platinum Member
  • Steve & Moni
  • Thank you received: 48
The video shows a model with the air-box and mounting hardware completely removed.
There is no difference from 2001 to 2010, all are 5 speed manual Getrag transmission/differentials.
The cables are attached to the body of the transmission housing,
and when the bushes wear out gears can normally still be selected, but one has to have a bit
of 'fine feeling' and luck.

In the still pic on Col's video the left hand cable is the actual gear selector cable, the smaller right hand one
determines whether it's 1st/2nd, 3rd/4th, or 5th/reverse.
Depending on specific use, left hand (larger) bushing will wear out after 150,000kms, smaller after about 350,000kms.
The bushes on the inside of the car at the shifter end of the cables are the same size as the smaller one under the bonnet,
but should most likely never wear out. Best replacement is from Booger Bushes in the USA, polyurethane set for about AUD40.
Steve & Moni & her Bat-Cruiser

Question 3 years 5 months ago #82234

• Britinoz
  • Thank you received: 4
Thanks again for your answers Gents....The thing that disturbs me is that the previous owner let the car get to this condition.....the left bushing in the white nylon/plastic ring was long gone...so the 8mm pin was just sloping around in the 21 mm ID ring. and the other one is also just about shot. So you can understand that shifting was a bit hit and miss....and reverse was sort of ..I'll have to walk.
I've made some running repairs that will keep me going for a while...with a set of "Dorman 14044" on the way from Amazon
Chris....
10.jpg03.jpg06.jpg07.jpg11.jpg04.jpg05.jpg02.jpg01.jpg09.jpg