Forum
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: new member

new member 4 months 3 weeks ago #83878

• orid
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi Everyone just joined , hope you don't mind I' m not yet an owner ,but I am interested in purchasing a 2006 soft top limited manual Pt ,it has 77000Ks ;
I will be giving it a test drive shortly and was hoping someone can give me some advice on any nasties I should be looking for.
Any advice would be very appreciated , best regards Peter
The administrator has disabled public write access.

new member 4 months 3 weeks ago #83879

• White Cruisn
  • Ray & Gayle. Luv our PT & being part of this Club.
  • Thank you received: 41
Welcome and Good thing you put a normal post up straight away as I nearly blocked it thinking another Spammer....unusual logon name!
Keep searching our forum as ther are plenty of posts re this subject.
Just keep in mind you are purchasing a secondhand vehicle and usually people have a reason to sell.
Main thing is ask plenty of questions from the owner and or salesperson and query the warranty if any.

Make sure the engine hasn't been overheated and or using any coolants and oils between services and also check to see if there is any vibration when taking off from the front driveshafts.
That year model also had a few electrical hiccups so make sure everything works and ask about that.
Mines an 03 model and hasn't had many dramas. Been a good car really.
All the best.

- Ray
Ray Joyce
Mob: 0407 266 890
PTCDU-NSW Inc. - SECRETARY & Membership
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

PT CRUISERS DOWNUNDER (NSW) Inc.
UHF: Ch19
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Club Web: www.ptcruisers.org.au
Club Mail: PO Box: 357 Figtree, NSW 2525

new member 4 months 3 weeks ago #83880

• orid
Thanks Ray,
are the drive shafts expensive to replace?
is diy an option?
not sure how to check coolant or oil use between services except checking for leaks ,
if there is a problem with electrics can they be a major problem also? eg is it a dealer only thing or just auto electrician?
Sorry if this is already answered on the forum but I'm about to road test the vehicle in about an hours time
hopefully I will be able to do more searching here later after the road test before making a final decision
thanks again Ray ,
Regards Peter

new member 4 months 3 weeks ago #83881

• White Cruisn
  • Ray & Gayle. Luv our PT & being part of this Club.
  • Thank you received: 41
Sorry Peter, I've been out tonight with family.
It's about asking questions ..... by law if you don't ask any questions when buying a car then the seller isn't compelled to tell you anything but if you ask they are expected to answer truthfully.
But today I'm not sure if many respect being honest.
So you ask how much oil between services, does it use coolant etc etc
It will help if we know what area you are from so we can give you contacts of repairers but if you pop onto our website www.ptcruisers.org.au there is a list of repairers.
Today I'd be avoiding dealerships as they don't really know the car apart from servicing but in saying that there are plenty of options to have repairs done and or get parts etc.
Have a look at www.bleam.com.au who are in Qld and they can supply parts and they show the prices.
A reputable auto electrician understands circuits better than dealership.

- Ray
Ray Joyce
Mob: 0407 266 890
PTCDU-NSW Inc. - SECRETARY & Membership
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

PT CRUISERS DOWNUNDER (NSW) Inc.
UHF: Ch19
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Club Web: www.ptcruisers.org.au
Club Mail: PO Box: 357 Figtree, NSW 2525

new member 4 months 3 weeks ago #83883

• Richie
  • Thank you received: 15
G'day Peter and glad to see that you are looking at a PT Cruiser as your drive. Yes love them or hate them they are an eyecatching car that turns either head. Hey, buying a car is just like buying any car, you either get a good one or a bad one and you just have to sort it out. (we're not all mechanics and we don't know). I guess that hopefully one expects it to be a good car to begin with. I owned a Ford Falcon prior and it had its moments, electrical, ball joints, roof lining fell down, etc. But I sorted them out and kept on keeping on. I you love PTs then that's how you may need to go. Just ask questions and hopefully this forum will help out.
PTs have their intrinsic problems but you can generally get those types sorted out by all us owners.
The way I see your car, at 77k it's only young so there won't be much wrong, just remember that after 100k and before 150k the timing belt will NEED to be done (about a $1000 job) and every 10k change the oil AND filter.
Once your happy with your drive, look around for some cool stuff to do her up, e.g. chrome grille etc, there's plenty of good stuff to do up Cruisers with.
Happy Cruisin'
Richie

new member 4 months 3 weeks ago #83884

• orid
Thanks Ray and Richie for the great advice, much appreciated.
Richie I was under the impression that the timing belt should be changed at 100,000 miles not ks, but best to be safe eh?
I didn't get to test the car after all (unexpected visitors so hopefully today:}
Regards Peter
The following user(s) said Thank You: White Cruisn
11.jpg04.jpg09.jpg01.jpg07.jpg05.jpg10.jpg02.jpg06.jpg03.jpg