Forum
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Spare Wheel

Spare Wheel 2 months 3 weeks ago #84439

• Richie
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 16
Just putting this out there but has anyone either done or thought about fitting a full sized spare in the same area as the factory space-saver one. I realise that the factory frame is too small and at the least would have to be enlargened or even remade but what about clearance? The PT is high at the back, looks ok. Dunno, just a thought.
Rich.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Spare Wheel 2 months 3 weeks ago #84440

• White Cruisn
  • Ray & Gayle. Luv our PT & being part of this Club.
  • Thank you received: 48
Hi Richie
There's been a few contemplating members on this topic over the years.
Must admit I had a puncture once (at home) and refused to put the space saver on once going to the trouble of getting it out, so took the faulty tyre to the tyre repairer in my other PT...lol.
It's good when you have a backup vehicle.
Nearly 15 years old now and only one puncture, so I'm kinda think'n (in my case) it's not worth the hassle. Fair chance that even when you do put the modified spare on it would be a different tread pattern to the others by the time you get to use it, so it may not be able stay on anyway.
In saying that, if you live in an area where you could be prone to regular punctures I guess it's worth the effort!

- Ray
Ray Joyce
Mob: 0407 266 890
PTCDU-NSW Inc. - SECRETARY & Membership
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

PT CRUISERS DOWNUNDER (NSW) Inc.
UHF: Ch19
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Club Web: www.ptcruisers.org.au
Club Mail: PO Box: 357 Figtree, NSW 2525

Spare Wheel 2 months 2 weeks ago #84443

• Richie
  • Premium Member
Yes thanks Ray, It's a work-in-progress amongst other things that may or may not receive attention. I am hearing you about getting a flat as I haven't had one for yonks! Having said that.............oh dear are going out today! The previous owner had never had a flat! (in how many years I don't know). But I guess in the long run, there is a serviceable spare there albeit a weird one (so long as it is pumped up) and will get you to the next town at the specified 80kph. Chrysler obviously did their homework and considered the space-saver as acceptable for most conditions. Maybe it's an Aussie "man-thing" to have a "real" wheel on your car in place of the flat!
I've got a spare frame that I can play with getting welded or something to see how it goes.
Regards,
Rick

Spare Wheel 2 months 1 week ago #84449

• i2s2bme
  • Colin & Joan
  • Thank you received: 73
I can't remember where it was, but someone attempted modifying the wheel cradle
They gave up as there is just not enough room
My suggestion is to graft in an old style wheel well
But space may be an issue with that as well
But would work better than cradle, you my have to raise the actual cover around it an inch or two
Colin & Joan

PT CRUISERS DOWNUNDER (NSW) Inc.
UHF: Ch19
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Web: www.ptcruisers.com.au/ptcdu-nsw
Club Mail: PO Box: 357 Figtree, NSW 2525

Spare Wheel 2 months 1 week ago #84458

• Richie
  • Premium Member
Hmmmm......Thanks Colin, yes I may shelve this mod into the too hard basket as the well would be the main concern, possibly then followed by the full sized wheel sittiting out from it and too low under the back of the car. Could always carry a full sized wheel in the cargo area and hide moonshine in the now empty space saver area!
Regards, Rich
04.jpg05.jpg09.jpg02.jpg03.jpg01.jpg11.jpg10.jpg06.jpg07.jpg