Forum
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Hazard lights flash control

Hazard lights flash control 5 years 9 months ago #76877

Hello to all.

My wife and I have just purchased a PT Cruiser Classic 2 days ago.

We have always liked the style and the opportunity has just come up to consider buying a second hand vehicle.

We have managed to score a 2006 Classic in very good condition with 45K on the odometer at what we thought was a good price. Will take photo and post asap.

We live in Grafton and the car was in Sydney. We picked it up last Friday.

I have discovered that there was one thing that I did not find and the seller did not bring to my attention.

The Hazard light switch was held in by a piece of cardboard. It was black in colour so it blended in with the rest of the module. When it is removed the Hazard Relay begins to operate. We must have dislodged it slightly as we were checking out the controls. But not enough for it to bring it to our immediate attention.

Fortunately a friend discovered this just before we hit the sack at their place in Sydney the night we bought it. It was a bit of a surprise, but solved pretty quickly.

Would have been a bitch and a bit confusing if it had been allowed to operate all night. Flat batteries are not happy occasion.

I have tried to find out if this issue has been experienced by others on the internet, to no avail.

Thankfully I did find out how to remove centre console to access the switch on this forum. Pretty easy to do. Thank goodness for that.

I removed the console and removed the Demister/Hazard control module to investigate the problem.

The module has two other switches on it. One for the TCS off switch, The manual is confusing on how this is indicated as on or off. Topic for another discussion. Another switch is for Fog Light control, which the vehicle does not appear to have.

I have an electronics and computer background. I disassembled the module and it appears the module is electronically based. It only has three wires going to it but it has control over four items.

My educated guess is that is links up with the another control unit via a serial link. Possibly an on-board central processing system.

I have read somewhere that someone suggested it may be a faulty relay but my gut feeling is that it isn\'t as simple as that. I think there is some electronic logic/switching behind this issue.

It is not just as simple as a switch contact linked to a relay.

Is there anyone out there that may be able to shed some light on this issue.

In the meantime the cardboard stays where it is,

I look forward to any help that I can get

John
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Hazard lights flash control 5 years 9 months ago #76878

• PTmunji
  • Platinum Member
  • Steve & Moni
  • Thank you received: 47
Hi John,

Welcome to the world of PT ownership! (sometimes confusing, frustrating, bewildering, but always FUN!)....

I can\'t help you at all with your prob (sorry, have an early model), you could however try Allan at Bleam (he\'s probably the closest to you that I know of, and has a wealth of knowledge)-

Allan Loxton
Bleam Chrysler Chrome
8/5 Spall Street
Carrara QLD 4211

Phone: 07 5559 1659
Mob: 0409452086
Fax: 07 5609 6034
www.bleam.com.au
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Hope that you can sort it out.
Steve & Moni & her Bat-Cruiser

Re:Hazard lights flash control 5 years 9 months ago #76881

Really I can\'t help with the relay-Hazard switch
but to enlighten you to the fog switch, it is actually
a head light adjusting switch to adjust the head lights
down if you have pasengers in the back or a load in the boot
at night.
Keith
PTCDU NSW Inc (1 of 4 Founding)
'06 Linen Gold Man Cabrio
'17 ISUZU MU-X
(The dream continues)

Ph: 0412 017 084
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Re:Hazard lights flash control 5 years 9 months ago #76882

Thanks for the input guys.

Still getting to know the vehicle.

I will get to the bottom of the issue. Bit of cardboard is the option right now.

I suspect the problem is an electronic one. There has been some indication on the net that it may be the Light Switch multifunction switch module located in the column.

If I could get my hands on a schematic I might get a better picture.

Looking forward to driving it. Wife\'s got that privilege at the moment. Gone to visit her daughter who lives 150Km away.

Will post any info I get when I get it.

John
02.jpg01.jpg05.jpg10.jpg07.jpg03.jpg11.jpg06.jpg09.jpg04.jpg