Forum
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: My 02 Black PT Classic

My 02 Black PT Classic 9 months 4 days ago #84161

• HEARS3
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi ALL,
My name is Dave and I have recently purchased a gorgeous Black 2002 PT Cruiser.
I would like to share my beautiful photos with yas but would also like to tell the short story first.

So my EX owned this car for around 1.5 years. Since owning it, she had nothing but overheating problems and recently spent close to $1500 just having the thermostat done and a heater hose replaced. Mechanics said "ohhhh yessss, that is what your problem is" and was supposively fixed. She did a 1.5 hour drive and was overheating again [NOT to the point of boiling, just hotter than normal] yet RAA told her not to drive it as the head gasket was blown. She called me and told me that she wanted me to fix it and then sell it.

I arrange with a mate to pick it up on the truck and when he went to pick it up, it started perfect, ran perfect for 5 mins and he drove it up onto the truck.
I inspected the car when it arrived at my home and instantly said that it's NOT head gasket related.
I removed the Coolant Sensor and cleaned it, took the thermo fan loom apart and cleaned the terminals inside the plugs. I then put it all back together, plugged in my scan tool and the scan was totally perfect with NO faults etc. It really does purrr especially with the upgraded exhaust system under it lol.
I have now been driving it for like 3 weeks and it NEVER misses a beat except for the erratic idle control.
It's an awesome little car and I told my EX to keep it but she was insistent that I sell it. I went back to her a week later, handed her $2500, told her I sold it and that based on our agreement she had $2500 from her part of the sale. [agreement was I fixed it. sell it, 1/2 profits] She was like "ohhh wowww ... that was fast so WHO bought it??" she really wasn't expecting my reply lmao and her jaw quite literally hit the pavement when I replied with "ME!!!" lol

I have since found out that this PT is an EX Penrite Oils rep car [which was apparently fairly common for the era] and have 4 Penrite stickers on the way so that I can put a big one back where the original sticker was on my tailgate and 2 smaller ones on my rear side windows. [1 can be a spare]
I have now started a 100% mobile car detailing business [2 weeks ago] and keep ALL my equipment locked up in the back. It's my perfect little business car but I really DON'T wanna keep using it for my business. Since it's an EX Penrite car and I am running a car detailing business, Penrite themselves are now in negotiations with me for the supply of Car Care products... Seems like a match made in heaven if yas ask me lol

Anyways, sorry for my long story, I'm just totally honoured and proud to own and drive this gorgeous PT.
NOW!!! here's my mini HEARSE [HEARS3] haha
**NOTE** I didn't have my steam cleaner at the time I detailed this PT and am actually going to Re-Detail it tomorrow :)
Here's a link to my full album: postimg.org/gallery/18oaagmre/

Last Edit: 9 months 18 hours ago by HEARS3. Reason: removed URLs
The administrator has disabled public write access.

My 02 Black PT Classic 9 months 4 days ago #84162

• White Cruisn
  • Ray & Gayle. Luv our PT & being part of this Club.
  • Thank you received: 51
Great write up David (Dave). I had a chuckle on the sale part....could see where you were going with that.
All the very best with the detailing business. I'm sure you'll do well there.
Thanks so much for the info on the overheating side. It will help us or others when enquiries are made on similar situations.
Your pics on the car came up well.
Just to let you know that with using Photobucket for you photos don't be surprised if in 24hrs they get blocked. They want money to use there site. Some of the forum members have moved post image...I think it was.

- Ray
Ray Joyce
Mob: 0407 266 890
PTCDU-NSW Inc. - SECRETARY & Membership
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

PT CRUISERS DOWNUNDER (NSW) Inc.
UHF: Ch19
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Club Web: www.ptcruisers.org.au
Club Mail: PO Box: 357 Figtree, NSW 2525
Last Edit: 9 months 4 days ago by White Cruisn.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HEARS3

My 02 Black PT Classic 9 months 4 days ago #84163

• HEARS3
yeah mate, I thought that about Photobucket but hopefully my pics get seen by a few members before they do get blocked lol
I was using imageshack a few years back and they've all gone to the crapper now.

I really hope that my write up does assist other members in overcoming heating issues, although not all issues are the same. At least it's an example of what was causing the issue with mine. Mine now doesn't get above the first line above the C hehe ... IF tickle it along the highway [which is rare, I drive it like a grampa] then it goes up towards 1/2 but NEVER looks like getting hot.
In regards to my pics ... those are 100% RAW images without any form of doctoring apart from shrinking the size. I'm still surprised with those photos myself honestly and they were taken from an LG G6 mobile phone :)

As for my business, I started it almost 2 weeks ago now and for the first 9 days, I literally didn't have a day off... Slowed off now since my launch but have my business cards on the way to stick in other local businesses. Where I live, most people have to drive minimum 1 hour for a good detail. We have a self serve car wash not far away but as for actually 'Detailers', there's none out this way except for me now.
Designed my cards myself and totally stoked with the design. Can't wait to see how the final print comes out.

I'll look for other image hosting sites ... I aint paying 20 bucks for imageshack for 1 year and that's supposed to be a 50% discount too lmao

My 02 Black PT Classic 9 months 3 days ago #84169

• inferno
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 17
Dave I remember when Penrite sold off their PT's they went cheaply and from memory some members bought one, your PT looks good, my opinion only , shame to put stickers back on it, it looks so clean and smooth as is. Regards Murf.
MURF

My 02 Black PT Classic 9 months 3 days ago #84171

• HEARS3
inferno wrote:
Dave I remember when Penrite sold off their PT's they went cheaply and from memory some members bought one, your PT looks good, my opinion only , shame to put stickers back on it, it looks so clean and smooth as is. Regards Murf.

Hey Murf,
I know what you mean mate and the last thing I wanna do is ruin the aesthetics of this PT. If you look closely at the tailgate, there are remnants of the old sticker. I have tried to polish it off once but then decided that it belongs there. I was only thinking of putting the main one back on the tailgate and inside the 2 furthest rear windows. Other than that, this thing WILL remain unmolested and as it is right now [just cleaner again lol ]
I actually plan to keep it at a level where I can put it into shows as the outside isn't bad at all and the interior is near on immaculate.
I didn't get the chance to interior detail it today but I have a couple days off now so maybe in the coming days.
I'm looking more forward to getting together with a good bunch of people, do a cruise, a BBQ and finish with a cruise along the esplanade or somewhere.
I actually put my own insurance on this one today and found out that the market value is only $3500.00 which I find ridiculous, since my ex paid around $6200.00 1.5 years ago.... I have an agreed value of $4550.00 which I think is still ridiculous because these cars really are the best little cars.

IF you look closely at the attached pic, you'll see a partial mark from the previous Penrite sticker. I thought about covering it with a modern penrite sticker which is the same but slightly smaller now. Otherwise just the 2 side window ones.

My 02 Black PT Classic 9 months 3 days ago #84173

• White Cruisn
  • Ray & Gayle. Luv our PT & being part of this Club.
  • Thank you received: 51
Dave the forum is showing you are permanently logged on 24/7. Normally when you sit idle for a while the server logs you off but for some reason yours is staying logged on.
Just thought I'd let you know incase your data time is being used!
Might pay to log off when your finished.

- Ray
Ray Joyce
Mob: 0407 266 890
PTCDU-NSW Inc. - SECRETARY & Membership
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

PT CRUISERS DOWNUNDER (NSW) Inc.
UHF: Ch19
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Club Web: www.ptcruisers.org.au
Club Mail: PO Box: 357 Figtree, NSW 2525
03.jpg09.jpg01.jpg10.jpg04.jpg07.jpg11.jpg05.jpg06.jpg02.jpg