Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: The Power (or assumed lack thereof) of a PT

The Power (or assumed lack thereof) of a PT 6 years 2 months ago #74903

• PTmunji
  • Platinum Member
  • Steve & Moni
  • Thank you received: 47
After hearing from a work colleague for about the 20th time “the PT is a great car but it’s so under-powered”, I decided to do some research....

Most of us know that the PT would never have been “born” had they fitted it with a V6 or a V8- it was produced to help lower the overall fuel consumption figures of the Chrysler-Dodge-Plymouth group. Although ‘PT’ is supposed to mean ‘Personal Transportation’, PT was also used many years ago in reference to ‘Plymouth Trucks’ (the PT was originally going to be a Plymouth badged vehicle).

Anyway, I digress... Fed up with hearing how lacking in power it supposedly is, I have put together the following information (that may, or may not, be of interest).

The ‘standard’ measure for comparison of vehicle power is kW/Kg; i.e. how many kilowatts of power the car has per kilogram of total weight. Although it is commonly shown as kW/Kg, the figures are actually kilograms per kilowatt, i.e. the higher the figure, the more weight each kilowatt of power has to propel, i.e. the lower the figure the more ‘powerful’ the car is (I hope I haven’t lost you all yet!)

In the following list I have included some of the more popular “peers” of the PT (although we all know that the PT is without peer!), and some Euro imports that were maybe closer to the PT in price than the Japanese vehicles.
Vehicles included are the ‘standard’ 4cyl versions that were available around 1999-2004. In this list you will also see some vehicles that are favoured by the Gen.Y “I’ve got a big fat chrome exhaust pipe that makes lots of noise, therefore I’m cool” brigade- the Subaru Impreza (not the WRX of course), the Nissan Pulsar (not the SSS- the PT is not a ‘sports car’), and the VW Golf....

Honda Accord (2.3 litre) 12.22
Nissan Pulsar (1.6 litre) 12.38
Toyota Corolla (1.8 litre) 12.65
PT Cruiser (2.0 litre) 12.90
Renault Megane (2.0 litre) 12.91
Ford Focus (2.0 litre) 13.13
Mazda 626 (2.0 litre) 13.24
Subaru Impreza (2.0 litre) 13.31
Volkswagen Golf (2.0 litre) 14.49
BMW 318i (1.8 litre) 15.29

And just to add a little extra, a few “golden oldies”- (that I have never heard being called “under-powered”)-

XC Falcon 250 (4.1 litre, 6 cyl) 12.83
1969 Leyland Mini 1275GT (1.3 l) 12.90
VH Commodore 253 (4.2 litre V8) 13.48
LX Torana 202 (3.3 litre, 6 cyl) 13.93
VB Commodore 253 (4.2 litre, V8) 15.69

Soooo, next time someone tries to tell you that the PT is “a slug”, you’ve got some info to refute their unfounded claim.

- Steve

P.S I intentionally didn’t include the 2.4 PT, it has only 1 kW more power and somewhat more weight than the 2.0...
Steve & Moni & her Bat-Cruiser
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:The Power (or assumed lack thereof) of a PT 6 years 2 months ago #74905

• route66
  • Platinum Member
Hey Steve how about I come up and take him for a ride in Route 66 and tell him :laugh: its standard.
Geoff.:laugh:
2002 LTD Edition Inferno Red
ROUTE 66

Re:The Power (or assumed lack thereof) of a PT 6 years 2 months ago #74908

• PTmunji
  • Platinum Member
  • Steve & Moni
  • Thank you received: 47
Great idea Geoff- ;);)
I asked him, when he\'d finished his \"it should\'ve had a V8 rant\", if he\'d ever driven one, and like most of the knockers, answer was \"no, just heard\" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Steve & Moni & her Bat-Cruiser

Re:The Power (or assumed lack thereof) of a PT 6 years 2 months ago #74909

• i2s2bme
  • Colin & Joan
  • Thank you received: 72
Hard for them to understand in regards to hi performance vehicles these days don\'t rely on Cubis inches
And from the old days of the big three Holden Ford and Chrysler there was nothing smaller than a six
if there was it was crap so they figure it still applies

Only thing I think is really lacking is off the line grunt
and um auto\'s are not all that good up steepish hills

But everyone should know More Horsepower = Less Points :blush:
Colin & Joan

PT CRUISERS DOWNUNDER (NSW) Inc.
UHF: Ch19
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Web: www.ptcruisers.com.au/ptcdu-nsw
Club Mail: PO Box: 357 Figtree, NSW 2525

Re:The Power (or assumed lack thereof) of a PT 6 years 2 months ago #74912

• red gong
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 3
Steve, very very good summary.. because of the hot rod type looks, all those looking from the outside in grunt at the \"so called lack of power or lack of a V6/8\", it was never drawn to be a sleek car either, PT cruisers were designed and built as 4 cylinders, with comfort and \"that\" different outlook, Bryan Nesbitt accomplished all that.

Re:The Power (or assumed lack thereof) of a PT 6 years 2 months ago #74915

• White Cruisn
  • Ray & Gayle. Luv our PT & being part of this Club.
  • Thank you received: 41
Hi Steve
Great researching there. Says it all.
Personally let the critics say their bit they can stay in their choice of the other cars on the list and I hope they get a lot of ejoyable cruising in them over 10 years and they feel so proud of that car they just washed on that list....i\'m sure everyone they drive past looks at them and says wow look at that car....NOT :P
Now we know why they\'re critics..... Jealous of something they cant have.

As we all know the car was not designed to be a performance enhancer. It was designed to turn heads and it was successful in doing that....and ten years down the track still doing that but the public reaction is different today! A higher percantage of people want one now and appreciate its image and understand what the concept was about.

Today on our club run was a classic example of appreciation with 2 fine young people so proud of their PTs and how well they are looking after them.

Happy Cruising everyone and congratulations on your choice of car.

- Ray
Ray Joyce
Mob: 0407 266 890
PTCDU-NSW Inc. - SECRETARY & Membership
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

PT CRUISERS DOWNUNDER (NSW) Inc.
UHF: Ch19
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Club Web: www.ptcruisers.org.au
Club Mail: PO Box: 357 Figtree, NSW 2525
03.jpg09.jpg05.jpg02.jpg10.jpg06.jpg07.jpg11.jpg01.jpg04.jpg