Forum
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: The Power (or assumed lack thereof) of a PT

Re:The Power (or assumed lack thereof) of a PT 6 years 6 months ago #74918

• red gong
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 3
Needs to be remembered also that Bryan Nesbitt was just 27 years old when he designed the PT cruiser, what a vision. :)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:The Power (or assumed lack thereof) of a PT 6 years 6 months ago #74921

• The Chief
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1
red \'gong wrote:
Needs to be remembered also that Bryan Nesbitt was just 27 years old when he designed the PT cruiser, what a vision. :)

A vision that all PT Cruiser owners are very grateful for.
I knew the day I first saw one that one day I would eventually buy one never let alone a 2nd one. Thanks Bryan for helping me make that decision. ;) ;)
"Age doesn't weary us, it just makes us go cruisin more."

SOUTHERN CRUIZIN CHRYSLERS

Re:The Power (or assumed lack thereof) of a PT 6 years 6 months ago #74938

• rudedude
Great info PTmunji!
The 2.0 PT is a rareity here in the States. I drive a 5 speed manual w/2.4l and always thought it\'s a bit underpowered especially when an annoying driver tries to pass you on the wrong side of the road. Adequate is how I would describe it. It\'s possible that the US versions may have different specs due to pollution laws.

R

Re:The Power (or assumed lack thereof) of a PT 6 years 6 months ago #74947

• PTmunji
  • Platinum Member
  • Steve & Moni
  • Thank you received: 47
Some great comments from all of you... Thanks...

I have actually wanted to research this for a while, and finally had the time to do it. I found it very interesting that the PT is \"more powerful\" than some of the older V8\'s!

As mentioned, the PT was never meant to be a \"sports\" car, nor even a \"performance\" car, but it does alright!

Rudy- My research showed that the 2.4 litre has only 1kW (approx 1.4hp) more than the the 2.0 litre, but weighs somewhat more; and yours (being a Cabriolet) would weigh more than the hard-top, thus, the engine would have a lot more work to do. I haven\'t checked the specs, but I think that they would be the same world-wide. Europe and Australia have generally much stricter pollution regulations than the U.S., so I think that Chrysler, (like most manufacturers) would have just produced it the most stringent regulations and sold the same car everywhere.

Thanks for the interest... (nice to know that there are more out there who are interested in the same \"odd\" stuff as I am!).

- Steve
Steve & Moni & her Bat-Cruiser

Re:The Power (or assumed lack thereof) of a PT 8 months 2 weeks ago #84251

• Mudgy
Hi Guys,
Old post, I know, but you're spot on. My Street rod project will end up 1600 or 1700kg's I reckon.... and the trusty VN Calais engine from 1991 is only 160 odd kW. So it will only be a cruiser, a "Gentleman's Carriage" so they say. Not an 8 second monster. I didn't design it that way. I wanted something that will do 20,000km between services... (bullet proof and reliable)
So yeah, a new Civic or a Golf would leave me for dead. But a Civic or a Golf aren't cool.

and....

Show me a Civic or a Golf that can get to 81 years old and still be on the road.

Cheers, Mudgy
Good Judgement comes from experience....experience comes from bad judgement.

Re:The Power (or assumed lack thereof) of a PT 8 months 2 weeks ago #84262

• Richie
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 16
Hey all, yes just reading the renewed thread I decided to put my 5c worth in (as we are all fanatical owners and lovers of the car).
I read somewhere that the idea of dropping a V6 into the PT wasn't going to work as the nose of the car was purposely rounded to mimic the early Chryslers of the 30s. The PT Cruiser is a retro looking hotrod as opposed to a square shaped standard family drive Toyota or Ford Lazer etc. Yes those cars can be tricked up to look good....but they aren't retro hotrods.
Why not put a Prowler V6 into the PT? The Prowler is a Prowler and the PT is a PT. The Prowler was built as a two seat, rear wheel drive sports car and the PT is a Personal Transport. Want a sports car – buy a Prowler. (Mind you, I'd like a Prowler)
As mentioned, the PT Cruiser is more of a look at than a speed machine and it achieves that quite satisfactorily. Just look at all of the purpose built add-ons obtainable for a PT rather than generic auto accessories from a car shop.
As for performance stuff, it's there with engine accessories and power gear, turbos etc. But not everybody want's to particularly go faster in a PT, go slow and let people check you out.
Around town I will put in some power at the lights if any young dude wants me to. Out on the road I'm quite happy to sit on 110k all day and let the others go by and get there 10 minutes quicker. (Years ago (in another brand name car) I drove from Narellan to Canberra overtaking every car I came up to and sat mainly on 115kph and saved 10 mins compared to the normal speed and LH lane).
We are happy with our PT and intend to keep it as a show car. Not many Kias, Hyundais etc will attract the same attention in 20 years as a tricked up PT Cruiser.
Anyways, Happy Cruisin',
Richie
06.jpg07.jpg02.jpg09.jpg03.jpg04.jpg01.jpg11.jpg10.jpg05.jpg