Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Replacement Blinker/Lights Stalk

Replacement Blinker/Lights Stalk 8 years 1 month ago #75782

• PTmunji
  • Platinum Member
  • Steve & Moni
  • Thank you received: 48
I recently replaced the Blinker/Lights Control Stalk for a friend of ours.
The genuine part had done the usual burn out due to the overload of heat in the stalk from the fog lights.

I also fitted a relay into the fog light wiring to prevent this from happening in the future.

Problem is that the \"new\" switch assembly appears to have a fault from manufacture- when you turn the right blinker on, or even just slightly pull on the fog-light switch part of the assembly, the Fog lights turn on!

My theory is that the replacement part has a built in fault......
The part is unfortunately out of waranty (it was bought well over a year ago, but because we live a long way away from each other it took us over a year to get together to fit it).

Has anybody else experienced this problem? Is it a problem with the afermarket part?
(I have checked all associated wiring, and nothing is melted, smouldered, or otherwise damaged)

We\'d love some feedback, because I believe it is a fault in the replacement part, and would like to follow this up with the supplier...

Thanks,
-Streve
Steve & Moni & her Bat-Cruiser
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Replacement Blinker/Lights Stalk 8 years 1 month ago #75783

• PTmunji
  • Platinum Member
  • Steve & Moni
PTmunji wrote:
I recently replaced the Blinker/Lights Control Stalk for a friend of ours.
The genuine part had done the usual burn out due to the overload of heat in the stalk from the fog lights.

I also fitted a relay into the fog light wiring to prevent this from happening in the future.

Problem is that the \"new\" switch assembly appears to have a fault from manufacture- when you turn the right blinker on, or even just slightly pull on the fog-light switch part of the assembly, the Fog lights turn on!

My theory is that the replacement part has a built in fault......
The part is unfortunately out of waranty (it was bought well over a year ago, but because we live a long way away from each other it took us over a year to get together to fit it).

Has anybody else experienced this problem? Is it a problem with the afermarket part?
(I have checked all associated wiring, and nothing is melted, smouldered, or otherwise damaged)

We\'d love some feedback, because I believe it is a fault in the replacement part, and would like to follow this up with the supplier...

Thanks,
-Streve

Re:Replacement Blinker/Lights Stalk 8 years 1 month ago #75788

• White Cruisn
  • Ray & Gayle. Luv our PT & being part of this Club.
  • Thank you received: 56
:scratch: Why twice? \"Streve\"

I have heard of this before but not on a new component.
Also heard owners have come back to their PT only to find the Fogs are on.

- Ray
Ray Joyce
M: 0407 266 890
E: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
PTCDU-NSW Inc. - TREASURER & Membership

PT CRUISERS DOWNUNDER (NSW) Inc.
UHF: Ch19
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Club Web: www.ptcruisers.org.au
Club Mail: PO Box: 357 Figtree, NSW 2525

Re:Replacement Blinker/Lights Stalk 8 years 1 month ago #75789

• foxy pt
Hi. I have a problem with my clock spring. Yuo might want to look at the info you can get on it, as it sounds like one of the problems I am having.

Re:Replacement Blinker/Lights Stalk 8 years 1 month ago #75790

• PTmunji
  • Platinum Member
  • Steve & Moni
White Cruis\'n wrote:
:scratch: Why twice? \"Streve\"

I have heard of this before but not on a new component.
Also heard owners have come back to their PT only to find the Fogs are on.

- Ray

No idea why it came up twice! The wonders of technology :unsure: .

I\'ve been in touch with the component supplier, he says that he has had a couple of faulty switches from new. What\'s weird is that the switches he supplies have no provision for rear fog lights (?), but this switch turns both front and rear on at the same time! Seems to me like the new part is completely dodgy- just have to try and sort it out with him; as I said it took us a long time to get together to fit it, so we\'ll see what happens.

Thanks for the input (also to Foxy PT- it appears to be only switch related at this stage).

- Steve

Re:Replacement Blinker/Lights Stalk 8 years 1 month ago #75791

• Wendy
  • Platinum Member
I had our switch replaced at least twice due to the fogs coming on with the right indicator but this was after a while of use. Brian in Melbourne pulled a unit apart when it happened to him and said the problem was dodgy $0.02 contacts that can\'t handle the job. I had once incident when we were on a road trip and the fogs stayed on with the power off. Had to pull the fuse from under the hood to stop them staying on. Replacement stalk fixed that too - all done under warranty a lifetime ago.
  • Page:
05.jpg10.jpg11.jpg02.jpg09.jpg07.jpg06.jpg03.jpg04.jpg01.jpg